Petroleum Institute of East Africa
The PIEA was launched on 8th July 1999 in response to a recognised need in the Industry. In the past few years, and particularly following liberalisation of the Kenyan Petroleum Sector in October 1994, it has increasingly been felt by the Industry's players and, as has been reported in the media, e.g. the "INVESTOR NEWS" Oct/Nov 1997 issue that, "The Oil Companies however lack an organised body which could liaise with the Ministry over Industry policy issues or jointly articulate the Industry's concerns."
As the Industry moves from a self-regulating Industry to an open and aggressively competitive sector, it is increasingly obvious to all players, including Government, that a level playing field with rules governing all areas of business for all players, new and old, large and small, International and Local, corporate and individual entrepreneurs, is essential to safeguard all interests including the public's.
Additionally, as the Industry develops, so are the changing needs of a rapidly expanding Industry and it is necessary that a structure for initiating change, promoting petroleum interests, serving as a forum for co-operation within the Industry, the Government and Public be in place. More importantly, the opportunity to preserve an Industry focus independent of Government and Commercial interest is of key benefit.
PIEA will develop relations with Government, Government agencies, and relevant professional bodies and trade associations" particularly in Eastern Africa. It will actively promote the PIEA's distinctive position on issues where it is in the interests of members to do so.
Through effective communications, PIEA will ensure that its aims and achievements and the range of services which it provides such as organising technical meetings, conferences, workshops and making available technical and non-technical materials, are recognised both by existing and potential members, by Government, the public and other bodies it seeks to co-operate with and influence. A guiding principle in PIEA endeavours is to be devoid of all commercial interests ensuring the observance of antitrust policies in its activities.
The Institute has its basis of incorporation two fundamental principles:
1. To adhere to the highest possible ethical and professional standards.
2. To promote the interest of the petroleum Industry independent of specific regulatory and commercial interests.
The PIEA core objectives include:
1. Lobbying with policy makers and regulatory agencies for the provision of a legal, stable fair, free and competitive market environment.
2. Fostering high standards and practices in the oil industry in East Africa by working with stakeholders, government and regulatory agencies to facilitate the development and sustenance of Petroleum standards, guidelines and best practices.
3. Professionalism by building capacity through specialized oil and gas training offered at the School of Petroleum Studies-a subsidiary of the PIEA which is the first training provider in Africa to receive accreditation as an approved training provider by the globally recognized Energy Institute.
4. Providing platforms for interaction and dialogue for and /or between industry and other stakeholders on diverse oil and gas subjects
5. Carrying out public safety education and awareness on various petroleum related subjects.
The PIEA Activities include:
1. Participation in drafting Petroleum policy, statues, regulation and standards.
2. Participation in other professional associations to increase industry representation on issues affecting the oil and gas business.
3. Creation of centres of petroleum focus in key regulatory agencies.
4. Hosting industry activities on behalf of members. Engaging petroleum associations and stakeholders in the EA region for the establishment of harmonized standards & practices Publishing of books for sale on specific petroleum subjects Publishing of a quarterly Energy journal, Petroleum Insight
The PIEA's mission is to provide a forum for expertise and excellence in the oil industry in the East African region with the aim of promoting professionalism and free enterprise in petroleum business supported by the highest business and operating standards, adherence to Environment, Health and Safety ideals.
Building expertise and excellence in the petroleum industry in the region.
Certificate in Aviation OperationsPetroleum Institute of East AfricaNairobi
Certificate in Exploration and ProductionPetroleum Institute of East AfricaNairobi
Diploma in Petroleum GeosciencePetroleum Institute of East AfricaNairobi
Diploma in Petroleum ManagementPetroleum Institute of East AfricaNairobi