The Aga Khan University
Aga Khan University is a unique hybrid: an institution of academic excellence that is also an agent for social development. A leading source of medical, nursing and teacher education, research and public service in the developing world, the University prepares men and women to lead change in their societies and to thrive in the global economy. AKU’s faculty, students and graduates go where the need is greatest, working in informal urban settlements, remote villages and regions where conflict or neglect has decimated basic services. Indeed, in many cases, such communities are their homes.
Guided by the principles of impact, quality, relevance and access, the University has campuses and programmes in Pakistan, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Afghanistan and the United Kingdom. It operates teaching hospitals in Karachi and Nairobi, Schools of Nursing and Midwifery, Medical Colleges, Institutes for Educational Development, the Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations, the Graduate School of Media and Communications, the East African Institute and the Institute for the Study of Human Development.
AKU also runs an Examination Board and manages the French Medical Institute for Children in Kabul, Afghanistan.
At AKU, students flourish in a welcoming, supportive environment that embraces pluralism, demands excellence and encourages leadership, teamwork, intellectual curiosity, debate and direct engagement with real-world problems. Admission to the University is based on merit, without regard to financial need.
Aga Khan University will be an autonomous, international institution of distinction, primarily serving the developing world and Muslim societies in innovative and enduring ways.
Aga Khan University is committed to the development of human capacities through the discovery and dissemination of knowledge, and application through service.
It seeks to prepare individuals for constructive and exemplary leadership roles, and shaping public and private policies, through strength in research and excellence in education, all dedicated to providing meaningful contributions to society.
To advance this Mission, AKU will:
1. Offer programmes of international quality;
2. Respond to identified needs in the countries and regions which it serves;
3. Prioritize teaching and research which will inform and underpin intellectual innovation and change;
4. Provide service to advance its educational and research mandate;
5. Foster and develop leadership capacity through its education and research programmes;
6. Assess its impact and effectiveness;
7. Promote access and equity by taking positive measures to make the University inclusive of all socio-economic groups, addressing the particular needs and circumstances of the disadvantaged; promoting the welfare and advancement of women;
8. Engage in knowledge networking and emerging technologies.
9. Add value by promoting partnership and networking across the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), and with other national and international institutions.
As an international institution, in achieving its Mission, Aga Khan University operates on the core principles of quality, relevance, impact and access.
Inspired by Islamic ethics, humanistic ideals and the philosophy of Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), the University is committed to building an environment that fosters intellectual freedom, distinction in scholarship, pluralism, compassion, and humanity's collective responsibility for a sustainable physical, social and cultural environment.
Bachelor of Science in NursingThe Aga Khan UniversityNairobi
Master of Arts in Digital JournalismThe Aga Khan UniversityNairobi
Masters in Media Leadership and InnovationThe Aga Khan UniversityNairobi
Diploma in Nursing (KRCHN)The Aga Khan UniversityNairobi
Diploma in Oncology NursingThe Aga Khan UniversityNairobi