Higher National Diploma in Computing
What is an Edexcel BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND)?
The BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) is offered in Business, Computing, or Graphics Design at Intel College.
BTEC HNDs are UK certified courses. The programme is 2 years in duration. Students studying at INtel College may achieve a Higher National Certificate (HNC) after one year, or their Higher National Diploma (HND) after 2 years. The first year is rated a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) level 4. This is a UK standard that confirms study equal to first year of university. The second year is rated on the UK NVQ rating, as level 5, and is considered equal to second year of university study.
An Honours Degree in 3 years of study
After you complete your BTEC HND, you can convert this to a UK honours degree in just one year of further study. At INtel College, students can progress to the final year of the University of Sunderland Honours Degree Programme which is offered under collaborative provision at INtel College.
What will I study on a BTEC Higher National Diploma in Computing?
The BTEC HND in Computing covers a broad range of computing principles and applications that are used by businesses today. In addition, students develop a range of specialist technical skills in Programming, Web Development, Graphic Design, Computer Networking, 3D animation, Mobile Apps Development and Systems Development, relevant to the current requirements of the IT industry.
How am I assessed on the BTEC Higher National Diploma Programme?
Students get to work on real-life scenarios through a variety of case studies. In their assessments, students are required to carry out presentations, write reports and conduct surveys. Other assessments involve keeping log books of work completed, observations of practical tasks, production of visual material and self-assessment. This gives students an opportunity to work on their specific subjects throughout the term. All assessments are quality assured through internal verification, and sampled through external verifiers from the UK.
• To develop an in-depth understanding of the role, design, development and operation of computer based information systems in the context of the information requirements of a business organisation.
• To provide the knowledge and skills required to contribute to the analysis, design, testing and development of computer based information systems.
• To develop and improve the interpersonal and communications skills, particularly the investigative, formal writing, formal presentation and independent working skills that are required for the workplace or further study.
• To prepare students for study at degree level and develop their experiences and outlook in relation to the world of Computing.
Mandatory Units – all 4 units below MUST be undertaken
1. Business Skills for e-Commerce
2. Computer Systems
3. Employability and Professional Development
4. Project Design Implementation and Evaluation
Specialized units -12 units MUST be undertaken
1. Research Skills
2. System Analysis and Design
3. 3D animation
4. Digital Image Creation and Development
5. Human Computer Interaction
6. Object Oriented Programming
7. Computer Forensics
8. Networking Technologies
9. IT Support for End Users
10. Information Systems for Organizations
11. Knowledge-based Systems
12. Quality Systems in IT
13. Web Application Development
14. Programming in .Net
15. IT Security Management
16. Data Analysis and Design
17. Multimedia Design and Authoring
18. Digital Forensics
19. Programming in Java
20. E-Commerce Strategy
21. Management in IT
HNC and HND in COMPUTING – Course Fees
Admission Fee: Kshs. 10,000/ once only- (includes use of library and internet)
Tuition Fee: Kshs. 91,000/- per term
BTEC Registration fee: UK 245 pounds (Once only) and annual exam fee of UK 100 pounds
Completing the Admission Process
1. Complete the admission form (available at the college or downloadable at www.inteluni.ac.ke)
2. Certified copies of academic credentials AND 2 passport size photos
3. Admission fee payment of KShs 10,000/- (ten thousand shillings only) by cash deposit direct to the college account or by cheque payment, or by MPESA (PAYBILL)
4. Submit the application and proof of item 3 above to INtel college
- Course Sub-Category Computer Science
- Course Level Tertiary
- Qualification Awarded Higher Diploma
- Awarding Body INtel College
- CostKSh. 91,000 Per Term
- Length Of Course 2 Years
- Class Size
- Course Location/BranchWestlands
HND candidates should have successfully completed KCSE or GCE (A level) or equivalent or should have related work experience. Credit transfer from prior recognized qualifications will also be considered.
Course Advertisement Details
- Would you like to feature this course? No
- Featured Course – Start Date
- Email address to receive queries email@example.com
INtel College has been established since February 1990. INtel College is based in Westlands, at the end of General Mathenge Road, only a 5- minute drive from the Sarit Centre. INtel College is located in one of Nairobi’s most beautiful locations. The College campus has beautiful landscaped gardens, providing an atmosphere that is safe, pleasant, and conducive to learning. The College is custom-built for teaching purposes with an interior design that provides an ambience of creativity, vitality and learning.
Over the years, INtel College students have won numerous international awards for outstanding results in the world, including 5 gold medals in one examination sitting at the Graduate Diploma Level of the IMIS, UK examinations.
INtel College collaborates with the University of Sunderland, UK and also serves as their Regional Centre. The University offers a degree in Computing, and in Business at INtel College. This is an Honours level Programme and the Programme is approved to run at INtel College by the Commission for University Education (CUE), Kenya. The relationship between INtel College and the University of Sunderland dates as far back as 1999, when the University joined hands with INtel, based on their commitment to quality in education.
Proof of that lies in the fact that in 2005, The University of Sunderland, UK recognized INtel College as their ‘Best International Centre for Academic Excellence’. The University of Sunderland further approved running 2 Masters degrees Programmes in 2012(MSc. IT Management and MSc. Project Management) in addition to MBA programme that has been running for some time. The University of Sunderland only runs programmes at reputable experienced institutions. The University has started offering Masters in Information Technology Management (MSc. ITM) and Masters in Project Management that have been approved by the Commission of University Education (CUE) and are registered with both NITA and MOHEST.