Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBChB)
About the programme
The Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB) programme has been granted provisional accreditation by the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board.
The School will train doctors and will impart appropriate theoretical, research and practical knowledge, skills and attitudes that are responsive to the health needs of the Kenyan society. The programme covers pre-clinical which include; Human Anatomy, Medical Physiology, Medical Biochemistry, Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, Behavioural Sciences and Ethics, Community Health, Pathology and clinical areas; Anesthesia, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Reproductive Health, Mental Health, Child Health and Paediatrics, Orthopedic Surgery
Vision of the programme
To be a role model of excellence in science and technology, education and training in Africa.
Mission of the programme
To contribute to the society by provision of accessible and innovative quality medical education that promotes excellence in scholarship, research and equitable service to the communities.
The duration of the course shall not be less than six academic years and not more than twelve years.
1. All units in the M.B,Ch.B., programme shall be compulsory unless the School Board recommends exemption and senate approves.
2. The academic year in the School of Medicine shall be divided into 3 terms, with a minimum of 44 weeks. Each term shall be 14 or 15 weeks exclusive of any examinations.
Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board
MBCHB curriculum development and approval
The MBCHB curriculum underwent all the relevant levels of approval:-
• Stakeholders participation
• Curriculum review policy
• Curriculum review committee
• Senate approval
• Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentist Board
• Commission for University Education
• East Africa Medical Practitioners and Dentist Board
- Course Sub-Category Health Services
- Course Level Tertiary
- Qualification Awarded Bachelors
- Awarding Body Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board
- CostKSh. 388,650 Tuition Fee Per Academic Year
- Length Of Course 6 Years
- Class Size
- Course Location/BranchThika
Candidates wishing to study for the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degree shall have met the minimum University entry requirements.
1. For the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) holders, minimum university admission requirement is C+ (plus) and in addition, an average of B plain in each of the following cluster subjects
3. Physics or Mathematics
4. English or Kiswahili.
2. For Kenya advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) holders, a minimum of two principal passes in Biology, Chemistry and subsidiary pass in either Mathematics or Physics.
3. For International Baccalaureate (IB), a minimum of grade 5 or above in International Baccalaureate
4. For diploma holders in Medical Sciences, a minimum ‘O’ level Division II pass in K.A.C.E or C+ (plus) mean grade and a credit C+ in cluster subjects in KCSE , in addition to a three year diploma with a minimum of a credit pass from a medical training institution recognized by the Board
5. Proficiency in English language
6. For holders of any degree in Biological Sciences or equivalent qualifications from a recognized university subject to passing Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
7. Other qualifications deemed to be equivalent to those in paragraphs (a)-(d) above from institutions recognized by the different institutions’’ Senates
Course Advertisement Details
- Would you like to feature this course? No
- Featured Course – Start Date
- Email address to receive queries email@example.com
Mount Kenya University (MKU) is a fully fledged chartered university committed to a broad-based, wholistic and inclusive system of education. It has an overall goal of promoting human resource development for society’s progressive good. The university has adopted several international best practices in its core functions, which has enabled its students and faculty win awards, thus stamping its authority as a centre of excellence.
At its main campus in Thika town in the outskirts of Kenya’s capital Nairobi, the university is transforming a hitherto industrial town into an educational hub. At the same time, it is widening access to higher education for the larger East African Community through a well-structured network of campuses. The university also offers a wide-range of academic and professional courses, through various flexible modes that include virtual learning,evening classes , weekend classes and School based.
The award-winning university library and the imposing Chancellors Tower at Thika Main Campus make the university unique. The university’s distinct blue and light yellow corporate colours are a byword for academic excellence to many students and potential employees looking for an increasingly competitive, well-trained manpower.
An empowered division of student welfare services continuously re-engineers and positions itself to unlock any emerging talents among the students through diversified programmes and career orientations, research, international linkages and talent searches.
Those who choose Mount Kenya University get access to a wide-range of courses that form a springboard to a sea of opportunities. We seek to promote a record of achievement and success in academic excellence and job prospects. To enable our students realise their lifetime agenda, we have invested heavily in facilities and staff. Mount Kenya University is on the forefront in using Information and Communications Technology to support learning and teaching. We have blended the use of e-learning with traditional learning and teaching values to give our students a flexible and dynamic learning experience.
Put together, these factors have etched Mount Kenya University’s position as the leader in quality higher education provision in the region. Indeed, to borrow the tagline coined by an alumnus - “My University, My pride, My future”- the university continues to help thousands of ambitious, discerning people to scale the heights of education.
Mount Kenya University is ISO 9001:2008 Certified and also a member of Inter-University Council for East Africa and Association of Common Wealth Universities.
To be a Global Cen¬tre of Ex¬cellence in Education, Research and Inno¬vation in Science and Technology.
To Provide World-Class Education, Research and Innovation for Individual Transformation and Sustainable Global Development.
To harness knowledge in applied Sciences and technology for the service of humanity
With an emphasis of Science, technology and humanities, Mount Kenya University offers an all rounded education including moral and professional education to all persons irrespective of religion, race, gender or political affiliation, social or cultural background. It endeavors to develop well trained man power equipped with technological scientific knowledge and capacities from certificates, diplomas, under graduate and post‐graduate degree courses.